Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dancers Anonymous.... We Made It.

I'm sure many of you reading this can vouch for the fact that people are always willing to put us down for some reason or another. Maybe not all people, but there are definitely quite a few that seem to think telling us that we are not capable of doing something is helpful and productive in some way. I cannot really say that I understand this way of thinking, but none the less, it happens. Unfortunately, it's when I hear from my students that it is coming from their friends, teachers, and most hurtfully, family. To be more specific... their parents. I grew up in a household where I was told I COULD, not that I CAN'T. Perhaps that is why I never saw limits to my future, and believed that I held the world in my hands. (Between you and me... I still think that sometimes even today).


Students, especially at the young high school age that most of our students were at, needed to hear a message other than what they had been hearing, and I wanted to provide that for them. Our final class was about proving the world wrong. Julian Rodriguez helped me come up with a small piece of choreography that allowed the students a chance to just enjoy the moves and the moment. It wasn't a lot of choreo so that they had time to perfect it and feel comfortable in front of the camera. :) I told them to have fun, and they did! It was a beautiful class. I also had them make signs. These signs were supposed to say, "I will..." and then they were supposed to write something that they will do. They did this with great pride and enjoyed telling the person who told them they couldn't... that they would no matter what. I couldn't have asked for a better way to end Dancers Anonymous for the summer! I hope you enjoy our final class!


Thanks to everyone who came out and made this a great success!!


 Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment