Monday, June 27, 2011

It Was Smooth. Like Cherry Dr. Pepper.

One thing I did not know, even with the extent of my love of Hip-Hop, was how many different forms there could possibly be. Not really sure what my style of Hip-Hop would be called, but we've had some girly hip hop, gangsta hip hop, and Thursday, we got to experience a real treat, and it was smooth hip hop, taught by our very own Julian Rodriguez. To get a better understanding of what smooth hip hop is or looks like, imagine if you will, Justin Timberlake and the way he dances in his music videos, and there you have it!! Smooth Hip-Hop!

I am by no means very good at being smooth... I mean... I'm not a boy... only boys are supposed to be smooth when it comes to these kinds of things. Lucky for me I had a good teacher, and while I still may not be very smooth, I think the whole class started to feel a little more suave by the end of class! Julian has a style ALL his own and he makes dancing smooth look really amazing! So amazing that as a girl, you can't help but smile. It's like being 12 all over again and at the concert of your favorite boy band. It's hard not to get giddy! HA! The students obviously had a great time and we are all looking forward to Julian's next class! He has a great personality, great dance style, and he is turning out to be a wonderful teacher. But then again... I had no doubts! :)

Julian has been dancing for almost four years now and he enjoys every second of it. In fact... it's hard to even have a conversation with the boy without him movin around or trying new ways to "Tut" with his hands. :) Which is quite entertaining! What's funny, is that Julian did not even begin to dance because he had a passion for it. He actually started doing it simply because he wanted to see how it was to dance! It was only then that he realized he was a journey he would never want to end! "I love dance because of the fact that you're able to just let loose, let your emotions out, and just have fun with it!" Julian see's himself hopefully traveling with his dance career and possibly touring. If he can't do that, he knows he wants to be teaching in a studio somewhere... ( Hopefully with me ;) ). "Dance has made me who I am. Without it, I wouldn't be who I am today!"

I'm glad Julian just simply decided to try dancing. He's great at it, and he's so much fun to watch! We all look forward to what Julian has in store for DA this summer and for his own future!

Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment