Wednesday, June 8, 2011

They Are More Than Just Dance Steps... They Are A Story.

My students, my teachers, and myself.... we come with a lot of baggage. I have many students who struggle with their home lives, students who have wanted to drop out of high school, and teachers whose parents don't believe in their childs dreams. All of these things make people question themselves... make them wonder what it will take to simply make things better, or what they have to do to prove themselves to the world. Sometimes we all just want a place where we can drop off our baggage and be left alone.

In a strange way, I like to think that Dancers Anonymous is allowing my teachers and my students a way to leave their baggage behind and be left alone. Except... they aren't left alone because they are suddenly surrounded by other people who understand what they are feeling. Dancers Anonymous is an escape from the many troubles the world brings to our doorstep, even if classes only are an hour and a half.

There are many beautiful things in life. God has given us sunrises and sunsets to marvel at their colors. The babies that are born each day fill us with joy as they giggle at the simplest of things. Snow during the winter is beautiful especially when it blankets a desert for the first time in years. But the one thing I find most beautiful is the story told during a dance. As I watch my teachers dance, I understand why I asked them to do this with me in the first place; their passion is just as great as mine, if not greater. When I watch my students, whether they've been dancing for years or are barely beginning, it's as if the weight of their world has been lifted and they are finally free to simply be themselves. There is a sunrise and a sunset in each dancer. There is an inner child in each of us that comes out unafraid.

Yesterday was on of those days at Dancers Anonymous. A day when the students and teachers were not afraid of what anyone else thought, but they allowed their inner childs, their sunrises and sunsets to come out and be captured for what they really are.

Angry. Frustrated. Hurting. Tired. Broken. Silly.

Beautiful.

I have the best job in the world and if I already see what Dancers Anonymous has the potential of doing and there have only been two classes..... then we've got to be doing something right.

Until next time... tell a story... everywhere you go.

Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment