Saturday, June 18, 2011

We're Dancers. Not Perfectionists.

It's interesting how rude some people are on the internet. People are hidden behind their computer screen, so automatically they feel they can be hateful to other people, and say things they would never say to that person in real life. Unfortunately that is the type of week my YouTube account has been having, and I've gotten some pretty hateful comments on my dance videos. It makes me wonder if people really don't like the dancing, or maybe they just feel the need to be angry at people for no reason. Either way, I've tried to just brush it off and keep posting stuff! :)

So with that side note, I realize that while others may feel the need to be disrespectful for no reason, we really are our own worst critics. Needless to say, Dancers Anonymous had a few bumps in the road during class yesterday. Our instructor, Josh Bernal, had a great piece of choreography and the whole class had so much fun learning it! It was obvious Josh was having a great time, and depending on what type of mood the teacher is in while teaching, usually plays into how the students feel about the class! If you were there, you would have realized how much fun everyone was having. The routine was pretty challenging and it was definitely fast, but the students once again stepped up to the challenge and handled the routine with swag! (For those of you reading that are not up on your dancer/hip hop lingo, Swag has to do with appearance, style, and the way he/she presents themselves). So bascially everyone was making this routine their own and it looked amazing!

Towards the end of class we were all so sweaty and tired that we all started to forget the routine. It's a natural thing when you've been dancing full out and have really put your all into a routine. But unfortunately, as dancers, we strive for perfection, and when we don't deliver, we (like I said before) become our own worst critics. It happed for a few people yesterday, but none the less the out look about the routine and the class was so positive and fun! Everyone knew it was because they were tired, and by the end of class most people just chalked it up to another day in the life of being a dancer. We make mistakes, and sometimes the worst mistakes, teach us not only about ourselves, but they also teach us to be humble.


Josh Bernal who also goes by "J-Bot" is an amazing teacher and choreographer who has been dancing for five years. Josh only began seeking out his love of dance when the Las Cruces High School Performing Dance Team came to his middle school to recruit. Ever since then, he has done everything he can to be the best dancer he can possibly. His passion for dance is extremely obvious when you watch him, and when you have a conversation with him. It's pretty much the only thing that is on his mind 24/7, and that's why he makes such a great teacher. He strives to pass down his love of dance to all his students, which is one of the main reasons I wanted him to work for Dancers Anonymous. "I have so many friends and loved ones because of that choice that I feel something now. Something I didn’t feel when I was alone back in elementary and middle school. I feel true happiness. I love Dance. I love the doors it has opened for me and I love the people it has brought into my life. I love how I can feel the music course through me and make sound and lyrics come alive. Dance is my passion and it is that passion that saved me from myself those many years ago. Though I have come along way in dance there is still many challenges ahead of me; Challenges that require me to push myself to be a better dancer and be a better person. But I face those challenges with a smile because I have found what I want to do for the rest of my life and I couldn’t ask for better best friends to walk that path with me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment